No seriously. Check out the trailer after the break. I’m pretty shocked! It looks… “special” and it’s from WayForward; the developers behind recent 2D hits such as Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Contra 4. OK so the latter was in fact a total bitch to play. Still… the Metroidvania concept compels me:
* Based on the best-selling BloodRayne videogame franchise that has extended into comics, merchandise, movies and apparel.
* Developed by WayForward, the award-winning team known for bringing franchise favorites back to audiences in exciting new ways. Credits include: Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Contra 4, and A Boy and His Blob.
* Rayne is a dhampir, born from the union of vampire and human, blessed with the powers of a vampire but cursed with a thirst for blood and weakness to sunlight.
* Experience BloodRayne in HD with exciting 2D side-scrolling action and challenging obstacles designed specifically for mature audiences.
* Kill evil vampire scum in 15 challenging levels across multiple unique acts, including: The Forest, The Attic, The Freaky Ballroom and more.
* Meet new characters along the way including a mysterious shape shifter.
* Feed on enemies and refuel your blood reserves in gruesome new ways, including the Blood Fountain.
* Solve environmental puzzles, including:
o Blood Seals: Places on the ground and in front of doors that need to be drenched in blood to unlock.
o Grinder Switch: Toss enemies into a bone mashing grinder to activate.
o Floodlights: Maneuver through a barrage of floodlights aimed to take the Dhampir out. Rayne can also trick vampires into the light to take the heat off of her.
o Rising Blood Tower: Fill a pit with enemy blood to make the tower rise so Rayne can escape.
* Punishing combat skills deliver Rayne’s intense brutal fatalities:
o Infection: Enemy vampires bloat and explode when triggered.
o Heel Stomp: Instant-kill enemies after laying them out.
o Drain: Bite and drain your enemy’s blood to restore your health.
* Full arsenal of lethal weapons:
o Rayne’s signature arm blades return sharper than ever.
o Handgun offers quick ranged knockdowns.
o New weapons include a gun that prolongs damage over time via a constant beam of light. Also serves double duty as a sun reflector for puzzle solving.
* Battle a variety of new enemies and deadly bosses:
o Flying Parasites: This annoying bugger will swoop in and attack if you’re not careful, but can also be infected and exploded for some bloody good fun.
o Wheeler: A freakish genetic experiment, with long sharp arms for long range attacks.
o Blood Balloon: A big, hammer wielding brute that may be tough to beat, but when you finish him off he explodes like a balloon!
o Wraith: These ninja-like enemies come at you without notice and can phase in and out before your eyes.
o Elite Guard: The ultimate enemy, like a vampire Knight with a big sword, only he’s trying to kill the damsel.
Pretty convincing would you agree?